Monday, June 8, 2009

Burning for Flame Leviathan

I'm a healer. I like to heal. Some people hold issue with the "whack-a-mole" nature of healing, but I prefer to call it the "aggressive reaction" style of healing. Yes, I use Grid. Yes, I tend to keep an eye on Grid more than the actual screen, but isn't that the job of a healer? It's my job to keep a close eye on my raid's health bars to make sure they're topped up at all times.

So, why did I even choose healing? I like the spontaneity of it. I like knowing that without me or the other healers, we don't stand a chance. I've single-healed/two-manned Heigan the Unclean twice. Once with a tank, and the other with a ret pally. The ret pally does have plate, but he was still taking some pretty big hits, not having defense or avoidance ratings. My point is not to say that healers are the Old Gods' gift to the World (of Warcraft), but that we play a really crucial role that is RARELY the same from encounter to encounter. I like dipping back into DPS from time to time, but I really do think Healing is one of the most exciting roles in the game for me. I've done melee dps, I've done caster dps, and I've done healing on two classes. The only "role" I have left to really sink into is tanking.

Last night was my first run at Flame Leviathan with my other guild, Team Sport on Nazjatar. Having never set foot into Ulduar yet, I didn't know what to expect. I knew that tanks and vehicles were involved, but I didn't know that the only opportunity for healing was to role-play a "Last Crusade"-esque Harrison Ford with a Sean Connery in the sidecar of my little chopper (Sorry, Dralo, I know that you thought we were all saying Demolisher). Although I really do enjoy the style of the Leviathan fight, I feel it's a misrepresentation of what's to come. I was kind of disappointed that I really only had 2 spells at my disposal: Sonic Cone or Tar (I believe they're both called). It was a nice little ego boost to down Leviathan, the first boss in Ulduar, but I really wanted to test my real healing skills.

As I said, it's a fun fight, and it's definitely something different, but I was certainly hoping to say the fight was a success thanks to my perfectly-timed nuke-heal saving the day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment